We have been on a van trip for two weeks and come home in a few days. I vowed I would only eat fish on the trip, and I have been successful. Fish is something that I find hard to cook at home for no good reason, so I wanted to get my fill after cooking in my pandemic kitchen for a year with fish on the menu only a few times. Cream of Crab soup, Lobster Rolls, Blackened Mahi Mahi and Boursin, encrusted grouper with spinach, Oysters Rockafeller and peel and eat shrimp and shrimp tacos have all been on the menu. The one dish that I can’t get enough of (pictured here) was a quinoa salad with sesame encrusted Tuna and Ginger at Coconuts Beach Bar at CasaYBell Resort on Sanibel Island. I had it once and am going back to have it again today. I wrote a recipe for this dish to add to my repertoire when I get home – it’s that good! You can make your own pickled Ginger, too (there’s a fun recipe here), but I know I’ll be lazy and buy mine. I hope you enjoy this tiny bit of the Florida Sunshine.
Ingredients for the Tuna
- 1 Tbsp Black sesame seeds
- ¼ cup white sesame seeds
- 2 4-6 oz Ahi Tuna Steaks at least 1 inch thick, best quality
- 1 Tbsp Canola oil
Ingredients for the Salad
- 1 cup dried quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 English cucumber, finely diced
- 1/3 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 2 green onions sliced (green and white parts are fine)
- ¼ cup pickled ginger slices
Ingredients for the Salad Dressing:
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Ingredients for the Thai Chili Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Salad Girl Chili Limon Salad Dressing
- 2 tablespoons Sambal Oelek
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 pinch salt to taste
Instructions for the Salad
- Boil the water
- Add the quinoa as it reaches a boil, turn to low and cook covered for 15 minutes. Let sit for 5 minutes covered after you turn the heat off.
- Blend up the oil, vinegar, Dijon, and lemon juice in a food processor or with an immersion blender in a cup.
- If you don’t have these, whisk very well until everything is completely emulsified.
- In a bowl, mix together the cooked quinoa, the red and green onions, and dressing. Salt and pepper, to taste. S
- Reserve the pickled Ginger as a garnish when assembling the salad
Instructions for the Tuna
- In a shallow baking dish or a plate, combine the two types of sesame seeds and stir to mix.
- Season the tuna with salt and pepper and dredge in the sesame seeds, coating the tuna evenly.
- In a medium cast-iron pan, heat the oil until smoking, arrange the tuna in the pan (making sure not to overcrowd) and cook 1 minute until the white sesame seeds start to turn golden
- Turn the tuna over and cook for about another minute.
- Transfer the tuna to a cutting board and let rest 5 minutes
- Cut into 1/4 inch thick slices.
Instructions for Thai Chili Sauce
Whisk, Salad Girl Chili Limon Salad Dressing, Sambal Oelek, sesame oil, soy sauce, and honey. Add salt to taste.
Instructions to assemble the salad
- Scoop 2/3 cup dressed Quinoa salad in a shallow bowl
- Add 1 Tuna steak cut on the bias fanned out
- Add 1 Tablespoon pickled ginger alongside the Tuna
- Spoon half the Thai chili Sauce along the side of the bowl
The post Sesame Crusted Tuna and Quinoa Thai Chili Salad with Ginger appeared first on Stephanie Hansen.