Basically poppy seeds are used in baked goods and traditional dishes worldwide. Both the seeds and their oil are said to offer various health benefits including promoting digestion, boosting skin and hair health, treating headaches, coughs to curing asthma and insomnia. As poppy seeds are derived from the opium poppy, its banned in some countries. In India, people use khus khus in their cooking regularly for grinding masala. It helps to give a thick and creamy texture to kurma and other gravies.
To powder the poppy seeds, I dry roasted them first which was not mentioned in the original recipe. I also added some cloves for flavor. It smells and tastes so good. Everyone in my home including Raksha loved it. I am taking this milk at night 30 minutes before going to bed. My sleep quality is improved. I am planning to take this milk for another week till I go back to my normal sleep. But do not consume more. For adults, you can give 1/2 cup of milk.
Friends, do try this khuskhus milk / Poppy seeds milk / Gasagasa paal at home for a good night’s sleep. Remember this milk alone doesn’t make wonders. You have to do meditation, try to divert your mind by listening to good music, watch movies or do your favorite activity that relaxes your mind.
Ok, lets see how to make this easy and yummy Khas khas milk with step by step pictures.
Poppy seeds milk – Khus khus / khas khas milk recipe for good sleep and added health benefits.
1 cup = 250ml
- Heat a kadai and dry roast the poppy seeds in low flame for few minutes.
- Add cardamom, cloves, nutmeg and roast it for a minute.
- Switch off the flame and allow to cool down completely.
- Now add pepper corns and turmeric powder.
- Grind everything to a smooth powder. Remove and store in a box.
- To make khus khus milk : Boil 1/2 liter milk. Add 1 tbsp of this powder.
- Mix well and boil for few minutes till it changes color. Strain the milk and serve hot or warm !
Try this healthy khus khus milk at home and enjoy its health benefits.