Ever tried making an exotic recipe using basic ingredients from the kitchen? If not, then this recipe is all that you need. The recipe is for Salmorejo.
Salmorejo is a cold puree of tomato and bread with other condiments. It is served in almost every restaurant in Spain. Nothing is better than a cold bowl of Salmorejo on a hot day. It is one of those dishes which are delicious as well as super healthy.
To prepare Salmorejo, scald the tomatoes and peel off the skin. Make a puree out of these tomatoes. Fill a baguette with tomato puree. In a blending jar, add garlic, salt, vinegar, tomato puree and bread, add oil while blending. Add the eggs and blend again. Season with salt and refrigerate it and serve cold.
It is an easy recipe and will freshen you up after a tiring day. You will get to know more about the process of scalding the tomatoes below in the recipe. Before that, check out and collect the ingredients you will need for this recipe.
Ingredients For Salmorejo
- 8 medium tomatoes
- 1 medium baguette
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small garlic clove
- splash of sherry vinegar
- pinch of salt
- 2 hard boiled eggs
- Serrano ham (sliced)
The ingredients you need to prepare this delight might be all stocked up in your pantry. Take a look in your pantry first. If not available, then walk to the nearest supermarket and you will get them all. Let’s check the time you need to prepare this meal.
How Much Time Will It Take To Make Salmorejo?
|Preparation Time||Cooking time||Total time|
|20 Minutes||5 Minutes||25 Minutes|
This recipe does not have any cooking involved, except for the scalding of tomatoes.Take a look at the steps involved in this recipe.
Steps To Make Salmorejo
- Scald the tomatoes before peeling off the skin. To scald the tomatoes, Cut at the bottom of each tomato. Boil the tomatoes in salted water. After boiling for a minute, remove them and place them in cold water. Peel the skin.
- Remove the core of the tomatoes and blend them at high speed. Blend the tomatoes till they are all crushed. This may take 30 seconds.
- Take baguette and remove its crumb from inside. Add this crumb to the tomatoes and let the bread soak the tomato juice. This will take 5 minutes.
- Now, add salt, vinegar and garlic to the tomato and bread mixture. Blend them all together to get an even texture-out of them. Gradually add olive oil while you are blending.
- Add the eggs and blend the mixture again—season with salt as per the taste.
- Refrigerate the mixture till it gets chilled.
- Serve this dish in small bowls and add diced boiled eggs and sliced ham to it.
- Serve cold.
This recipe will surely be loved by everyone at your place.
Nutritional Breakdown of Salmorejo
Let’s see the nutrition composition of this healthy Spanish dish.
How To Make Salmorejo At Home | Video
I have uploaded the video for a similar recipe to make it more convenient for you. Do watch it to be more clear about the steps involved in this recipe.
Video By Omar Allibhoy – The Spanish Chef
Try this recipe at home and share your reviews and experience while making the recipe. I will be glad to know your reviews. Also, I would like to hear your suggestions regarding any recipe. Let me know if you like to know about certain recipe. I will be delighted to help you. Bon Appetite!