Butterfly pea flower lemonade is a lovely version of lemonade, a treat to eyes, satisfying both virtually as well as thirst quenching. We commonly call this as sangu poo.
We use sangu poo mainly to decorate pooja place/ photos in the pooja room. Especially, Krishna, Vishnu or Ramar photos. If I remember correctly, we also used to have one of these vine in our home. I love the flower for it’s color as well as how beautiful it is. But culinary purpose is totally new to me until I saw here in Singapore.
Especially few years back, it’s a quite popular trend here, right from rice to drinks, there are many things sold here. But it is quite common in South east Asia to use these flowers for culinary purpose. I have seen rice very common in restaurant banners.
We, back at home might use the dried flowers of hibiscus for nurturing hair, maximum we make a tea as it is known for regulating BP. But Sangu poo is just for decorating purpose. I badly wanted to try a rice variety and post in my blog ever since I came to know about the varieties we get here in Singapore.
There are so many of this color changing lemonade recipe in the internet. But for me, saw in Madhu’s Insta stories and loved how it changes the color. I immediately tried and posted as well in my stories a while back. After long time, I got these dried flowers online (Redman brand). I tried to use the idea of using the blue ice cubes as well in the drink (Source)
Butterfly pea flower
Butterfly pea flower is known as Sangu poo in Tamil and Aparajita commonly. It is also known as Asian pigeonwings. In India, it’s mostly a holy flower used in puja and decorative flower. It has no specific taste of flavor at all, but the colour is very attractive if we use for culinary use. It is supposed to help with stress, anxiety and improve memory.
- I have used simple syrup, but you can use honey🍯 too.
- Can serve as hot beverage. Mix honey and lemon when it is warm.
- Using ice cubes made from the same steeped tea is optional. You can just use plain ice.
- Use lime in place of lemon.
This is a must watch video, inspite of you a video person or not. Just a quick video, go and watch how the color changes magically.
💬 Related posts
Butterfly pea flower lemonade
Butterfly pea flowers
- 10 Butterfly pea flower Sangu poo/ Aprajita – I used dried, you can use fresh flowers too
- 1 Lemon
- 2 tbsp simple syrup Or honey
- Ice cubes As needed
Place 10 flowers of butter fly pea in a tea pot. Pour one cup hot water to it. Keep aside.
Let it steep for 5 mins. The color will turn deep purple in shade.
Optionally you can make ice cubes out of this and use it in the recipe for more deep color.
To make butterfly pea flower lemonade, place the ice cups in the serving glass until ¾th of it.
Add simple syrup, steeped blue water to it. Tip in the lemon juice.
The color will change from blue to a purple hue. Mix well and enjoy.
- Using the blue ice cube is optional, can make it with regular ice too.
- Instead of simple syrup, you can also use honey or agave for healthier option.
📸Step by step photos
- Place 10 flowers of butter fly pea in a tea pot. Pour one cup hot water to it. Keep aside.
- Let it steep for 5 mins. The color will turn deep purple in shade.
- Optionally you can make ice cubes out of this and use it in the recipe for more deep color.
- To make butterfly pea flower lemonade, place the ice cups in the serving glass until ¾th of it. Add simple syrup.
- Add the steeped blue water to it. Lastly tip in the lemon juice.
- The colour will change from blue to a purple hue. Mix well and enjoy.
Enjoy it as a refreshing mid day drink on hot humid day.